DATE: July 2021
JOB TITLE: Director of Communications and Public Affairs DEPT: Communications
REPORTS TO: Executive Director FLSA Status: Exempt
COMP RANGE: $85 - $100,000 SUPERVISES EMPLOYEES: Yes
The Director of Communications and Public Affairs will report to the Executive Director and will serve a multifaceted role encompassing public relations, communications, and member management. This individual will work closely with the executive team, key internal stakeholders, and external consultants for public and media relations to maintain and strengthen ICT’s brand, reputation, and visibility. This individual manages a small team of communications staff and ensures staff work product and performance is aligned with the overall mission of ICT and its members.
The position involves engaging key internal and external audiences, creating powerful messages, storylines, and communications programs, which drive awareness of the Texas property and casualty industry and its support of Texas consumers and the economy. In addition, this communications professional will be instrumental in ensuring consistency of messages across audiences and platforms including social media, traditional media, website, and mass mail reinforcing the vision and organizational objectives, including pertinent brand image and appropriate positioning. This position will monitor the overall effectiveness of our communications programs and recommend or make changes when needed.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop a comprehensive, multi-dimensional communications strategy to increase overall brand awareness, visibility, and engagement with our members.
- Act as a strategic communications advisor to the executive director.
- Ensures quality control for all external communications and ensures consistency of messaging and branding.
- Act as the primary media spokesperson for ICT and Texas property and casualty industry, and respond to media inquiries and interview requests when appropriate and consistent with ICT or its members’ interests.
- Manage PR relationships and create coalitions among key partners.
- Effectively communicate verbally, and in writing, to large and small groups, and in formal and informal settings.
- Prepare key messages, draft press releases, external content and other organizational materials generating proactive and reactive messages increasing media connectivity.
- Increase industry awareness and brand recognition through various PR, digital campaigns, media interactions, website content, social media messages, and event promotion and marketing strategies.
- Create and execute initiatives to build organizational reputation, including seeking opportunities for key employees to serve as experts at industry events.
- Develop and manage ICT and collective industry crisis communications strategy.
- Guide organizational preparedness by establishing and executing external communication plans.
- Identify areas for improvement through effective metrics analysis of member and external communications and outreach, and proactively develop systems and process to be more effective in overall communications strategy.
- Provides direction to communications staff to ensure ICT website, social media, and other online presence reflects up-to-date information, latest online strategies, and supports overall mission and goals of ICT.
- Staff liaison to ICT’s Communication & Public Affairs Committee and Texas Committee on Insurance Fraud
- Manage the ICT Education Foundation Scholarship Program, in coordination with Education Board President & ICT Executive Director
- Routinely corresponds and interacts with participating university professors and students to support the overall mission of the Education Foundation.
- In coordination with the Education Foundation board of trustees, the ED, and other staff as assigned, develop, and implement a communications plan in support of the overall fundraising strategy for the Education Foundation and ICT events. This includes, but is not limited to, identifying potential sponsors/donors, and recommending marketing and communication approaches resulting in donations which meet ICT’s fundraising goals.
- Coordinates with ICT executive director and CFO/COO to monitor and report on Education Foundation budget and funding resources for scholarships and other public outreach programs, including anti-auto theft and fire prevention programs.
- Must interact with the Education Foundation board of trustees in discussion on fundraising and any associated fundraising events and efforts.
MEMBER RECRUITMENT & RETENTION
- In coordination with executive director, and other management staff, develops a recruitment and retention strategy for ICT membership, including preparing and submitting analysis of member needs, interests, and methods to increase member engagement in ICT events, publications, and fundraising efforts.
- Develop and maintain consistent metrics to determine member satisfaction. Coordinates with other management staff to create surveys and other measurements to gauge member satisfaction and needs. This includes, but is not limited to, ICT member events, surveys to help guide ICT business and strategic planning, and other member assessment methodologies as needed.
- Develop positive relationships with other insurance organizations and identify potential partnerships with other organizations. In addition, use these opportunities to promote ICT’s services and identify potential event partners and members.
- Reviews industry trade publications, online subscriptions, and other sources to increase and maintain knowledge of industry trends and events and advise executive director and other management staff on items that may be of interest to ICT for purposes of recruitment, retention, event speakers, and fundraising.
- Provide executive director and other members of management team with recommendations to maintain and, where possible, improve member satisfaction.
- Routine correspondence with members and prospective members via phone, email and in person.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's Degree in related field and 5+ years of experience in Communications including PR, Marketing, Crisis Management, Community Relations, Media Relations, Executive and Employee Communications.
- Experience building and managing media programs that deliver measurable results.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with strategic communications plan development, news releases, fact sheets, talking points, and executive briefing documents.
- Knowledge of basic property and casualty insurance principles and concepts
- Ability to work on a small team and motivate staff to produce high-level, brand driven content.
- Proven success in managing and leading staff, business planning, and developing and maintaining an annual budget.
- Self-starter approach to work and strong problem solver.
- Excellent persuasive written and verbal communications skills, including interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Excellent time management and job prioritization skills
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills with a track record of successfully interfacing with executives and influencers that are both internal and external.
- Travel: Approximately 10 - 15%.
- Experience with media interactions, including creating digital campaigns for use by media outlets
- Bilingual Spanish
- Risk management or insurance related education or degree, including professional insurance certifications (including but not limited to CPCU, CRM, or CIC)