ICT Extends Our Sympathy to the Nation and Answers Coverage Questions

July 01, 2020

For Immediate Release

Contact: Camille Garcia, Director of Communication & Public Affairs 512-713-4262


This weekend we saw varying responses to the tragedy that began in Minneapolis. Many were peaceful demonstrations but unfortunately, in some areas, the situation turned violent resulting in damage to property, including businesses and autos.


As civil disturbance continues to touch our communities, across the nation and here in Texas, it’s good to know that most insurance policies will help business and property owners whose properties were damaged by the civil unrest. Here are the most common policies that can protect those whose auto, homes or businesses were damaged due to civil commotion.


Auto – the optional Comprehensive Coverage of an auto policy covers your vehicle for damage for several different risks including vandalism, riot and falling objects. Additionally, as we enter Hurricane season, damage from hail and flood are also covered under your comprehensive policy.


Homeowners – your Home and Personal Property are covered under your standard home policy for damage due to riot, vandalism and fire among other risks. If your home received damage and it becomes uninhabitable, the Additional Living Expense portion of your policy will cover for expenses like hotel and increased costs of eating out.


Renters – with the exception of coverage to structure, a renters policy covers for damage to your content like furniture and clothing if your home was damaged due to riot, vandalism, fires and other losses.  It will also have some limited additional living expense coverage as well.


Business Policy –damage to your Structure and/or your Contents caused by fire, riots, civil commotion or vandalism is covered under a Business Owners Policy. The standard business policy also covers financial losses that occur when that business can no longer conduct operations due to direct physical loss of or damage to its property by these same losses previously mentioned.  Ask your insurance company or agent about coverage during “civil authority” orders that restrict access to property because of damage to nearby property or when first responders prohibit access to an area as a result of the danger caused by a riot or civil commotion.

While property loss due to vandalism and riots are traditionally covered under most policies as outlined above, lives are irreplaceable. ICT wishes safety and security to Texans and our country as we manage these difficult times.



The Insurance Council of Texas is the largest state insurance trade association in the country consisting of over 400 property and casualty insurers writing business in Texas. For more information click on www.insurancecouncil.org or follow us on Facebook at ICT On Facebook and Twitter @InsCouncilTx for up-to-date news/information. Contact Camille Garcia, Director Communications & Public Affairs via mobile 512-713-4262.


ICT Events


Industry Calendar


TFPA Governing Committee Meeting
Omni Hotel, Corpus Christi


TWIA Board of Directors Meeting
Omni Hotel, Corpus Christi